Archive for February, 2010
Thanks to the Boxford (MA) Village Library for inviting me to do a staff training on Reader’s Advisory: Mystery Genre for Youth. This is part of an ongoing series with grant funding provided through an IMLS/LSTA grant administered by the MA Board of Library Commissioners; additional funding is provided by the Friends of the Boxford Town Libraries.
Entire Session: Mystery Reader’s Advisory for Youth (57:24 min)
- Introduction to Reader’s Advisory for Youth (17:42 min)
- Overview of Mystery Genre for Youth (7:58 min)
- Supernatural Mysteries for Youth (10:24 min)
- Kid Detective Mysteries for Youth (8:29 min)
- Suspense & Thriller Mysteries for Youth (5:50 min)
- You Solve It Mysteries for Youth (3:26 min)
- Using Media in Reader’s Advisory for Youth (3:49 min)
I’ve been asking for a hardcover set of the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder since college. This year, when my mother asked what I wanted for my birthday, I pointed out that if she’d bought me one book a year since I started asking, I’d now have the whle set, in hardcover. I happened to hit her up right after she got her tax return, and to my shock, she sent hubby online to eBay and wrote him a check. The seller had all 9 books, plus 3 others, AND the cookbook and album. WOW! They are in great condition, with nice new book jackets, and only slightly yellowed pages. Happy early birthday to me! I wonder if I can get them all read before Alex award considerations begin arriving…
Thanks to the Lynnfield (MA) Public Library for hosting my visit at the end of January! Participants may also be interested in the Darien Public Library’s 21 things for 21st century parents.
Thanks to the Rhode Island State Library for hosting me to demo board and video games and talk about gaming at the library on Monday February 1, 2010.
- Gaming & Literacy
- Model Gaming Programs
- Board Games
- Game Design
- Gaming Collection Development
- Reader’s Advisory to Gamers
Games to Link to on the Library Website:
More about Unplug & Play:
- Website: http://sites.google.com/site/unplugandplaywiki/
- Game Collection: http://sites.google.com/site/unplugandplaywiki/game-collection
- Libraries, Literacy & Gaming Fact Sheet
- Console Wars
- Best Video Games/Board Games for Programs
- Gaming Program Tips
- Sample Program Press Release
- OK to Play? ESBR Ratings Guide
- Get Your Game On:What Makes a Good Game, Anyway?
- Core Collections for Children, Teens & Adults